Miners rescue capsule in front of La Moneda, Santiago
The ride over the pass to Chile was another highlight of my trip through South America with stunning landscape of green valleys, barren canyons and snowcapped mountains. At the border post on the Chilean side of the pass I had to endure the thorough searches for fruits, cheese and other forbidden products and the whole procedure took three hours before we were officially “released” into Chile. Another spectacular mountain road led us down to sea level into the capital Santiago de Chile.
I knew the city from my short stopover back in July and therefore made my way to Moai Viajero Hostal where I spent four nights during my first visit. The employees of this hostel are amongst the friendliest hosts I came across on this trip so it was clear that I would return there when in Santiago. The pleasant spring climate made sightseeing very enjoyable and I spent two days walking around the city centre and the Bellavista neighbourhood with its colourful houses and relaxed atmosphere. The evenings and nights were spent enjoying Santiago’s nightlife with some of the hostel employees.
Barrio Bellavista
As mentioned in my last entry I was expecting Ulli & Suse to arrive in Santiago on their way hitchhiking down Chile and Argentina. I picked them up in their hostel and we moved over to “my” place as I could strike a good deal for a triple room. By now I knew the city quite well and could therefore act as a city guide showing them the highlights of Santiago. We spent three days together, two of them in the capital city. The third day we took a bus to Valparaiso, an important seaport north of Santiago with interesting colourful houses built on various small hills. There was a big live concert that evening where we could get a taste of local Chilean music before we had to head to the bus station to catch the last bus back to Santiago. There our paths parted again and I made my way down south towards the Chilean Lake District.
Valparaiso
Valparaiso mirrored port


sososo... viva el chile. e phette gruess und gniess d fährifahrt vo puerto montt nach puerto natales...
ReplyDeletechasch mir eigentlich nid sone auti mitbringe vo argentinie!
ReplyDeletejo das mit de tolle zollvorschrifte z chile kenni - das sinn voll die scharfe beamte. i möcht nur an d episode "paso de jama" erinnere... schöni reis no
ReplyDelete